Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A usical-May Interlude-Ay y-bay eff-Jay Overturf-ay, eventh-Say and inal-Fay ovement-May

Man...look at the time!

The day got away from me I guess...it's been a hectic one. I got up early and had my coffee and Raisin Bran on my front porch while I watched all the neighbors go to work...then I took a nap. Then I got up and made some chili and biscuits for lunch and got distracted watching the hummingbirds feed outside my window. Whew! I am beat!

You see, today is the first day of a weeks vacation for me. It's important not to jump into these things too quickly, remember the warm-up and cool-down are the most important parts of your work-out. You don't want to hurt yourself.

I'm having my favorite kind of vacation, the kind where you stay home and make no plans. I hear this type is becoming more popular during our current economic crisis, they even have a nickname for it, the "Stay-cation". I'm not trying to be trendy here though, this has ALWAYS been my favorite type.

I've never really understood why people work as hard as they do just to find a way to leave their home when they finally have free time. When I go to work, the whole point is coming back home again. All my stuff's here. It's where I like to be. Around my stuff. Home shouldn't be a place where you put in your time until you can afford to be somewhere else. It should be where you most want to be.

Which brings us roundabout to the final movement in my little musical interlude spotlighting love songs from different points of view. There are a lot of folks out there who work to make money to get things, just so they can say they got things that have some kind of monetary value to them. I work to get things I like to have. I don't care what the bankers and accountants say they're worth...I know their worth to me.

That set of "good" china or silver tea set your Grandma gave you shouldn't be valuable to you for it's antiquity or precious metals dollar return you hope to some day claim. It should be valuable because your Grandma gave it to you as a gift and you should be enjoying it. By the same token, that "good" friend of yours over there should be valued for the friendship they've given you, not because he/she is a valuable "network contact" that you can one day gain something from.

This is a song written by Guy Clark and Rodney Crowell about the value of things. I hope you like it. I do. Recorded in a dark and empty room...'cause sometimes you can see things better that way.



I'll see y'all tomorrow. I'm on vacation from work (the kind that pays the bills) not from this (the work that the bills get paid so I can enjoy).

Man...look at the day getting away from me. I almost missed my Fudgicle break. Damn!

No comments:

Search This Blog