Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cliff Sterrett: One of Polly's Pals

Born on this date in 1883, it's the 126th anniversary of the birth of Cliff Sterrett.


Sterrett was one of the finest cartoonists to take up the mantle, and his primary strip "Polly and Her Pals" which he did from 1912-1958, stands as one of the most beautiful ever rendered.

I redirect you now to the ASIFA site to read more. Scholars much more qualified than I, they have a BUNCH of hi-res scans of this gorgeous strip already posted, and can do greater justice to the work than I.

While you're there, think about contributing to this great organization. They are researching and archiving the work of comic strip and comic book artists and animators for posterity. They may not be curing cancer, but it's important work none-the-less.

I have to go take a nap now, somebody tied me up and poured too much alcohol down my craw last night, then I'm going to go find the diseased cat that must have shat in my mouth while I was asleep. I have to rest up for tonight's Todd Snider show at the El Ray Theatre...be sure and check here tomorrow for Uncle Jeffy's concert review!

See ya then!

No comments:

Search This Blog