Thursday, December 9, 2010

Batman Likes Christmas Too!

You ask, what feeling for Christmas could a dark, brooding, loner, creature-of-the-night like Batman have?

LOTS!

Remember, Batman wouldn't fight for the good of men if he didn't believe whole-heartedly in said good.

All the way back in Batman issue #9 circa 1941, Batman and Robin (both orphans I might remind you) help a less fortunate orphan boy find his dad. I can smell the plum pudding now.














Just about a year later, The Dynamic Duo went so far as the deck The Batmobile out as their version of Santa's Sleigh as they went searching for "The Loneliest Men in the World".














It's quite a thing for a tragic orphan and the biggest loner in comics to go two-fisted fighting into such adventures. Great golden age stuff!
Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! "The Loneliest Men in the World" has been one of my favorite Batman stories since I first read it nearly 40 years ago! It was good to read it again---and be reminded of how good Batman can be.

Runs.with.Ferals said...

These were clearly inspired by Will Eisner's Christmas Spirit episodes, but are no less entertaining. There is a certain charm to the pre-Dark-Knight Batman that will never return so long as we both shall live (unless Herbie performs a Miracle) !

Unca Jeffy said...

Anony: I'm glad you enjoyed it. I couldn't have asked for a better reaction!

Lys: I'm going to have to go into my research cave to make a call on this. These would have been 1941-2 or 1942-3 and Eisner would have been in the army at that time...I recall those fun Spirit Christmas stories being from the period after he returned and the Spirit really got the treatment. I'll get back to ya!

Search This Blog