Sunday, December 5, 2010

Little Orphan Annie and Mr. I. Am - Nemo 23 - pt. 1 of 2

Sunday Funnies kiddoes, and once again "Nemo: the Classic Comics Library" shines the spotlight on one of my all time top 5 favorite comic strip/cartoonists, Harold Gray's immortal "Little Orphan Annie"!


The entire first half of Nemo's 23rd issue is dedicated to reprinting a complete 1937 story of everyone's favorite orphan.


I can thank the efforts of Richard Marschall and Bill Blackbeard and all the folks behind "Nemo" and Fantographics books for giving me my first opportunity to finally read complete runs of this strip I had always heard of and just glimpsed excerpts from. Between their clear devotion in this great magazine as well as 5 volumes of "The Nemo Bookshelf" I was in hog heaven...and still am whenever I re-read them.


Reading this sequence in particular with Mr. Am shows Annie is the most adopted and cared for orphan ever born. Not only does Annie always have Sandy, whatever family she moves in with from town to town, Daddy Warbucks, The Asp and Punjab looking after her...she sometimes has God hisself!

I don't feel so guilty having friends like Superman, Jesus and The Flying Spaghetti Monster to hang with at Ye Olde Drink Hole now.

Eat this one up kids...it's a corker!!




























Be back next week for part two of Nemo #23. Family gatherings with Hi and Lois, an overview of the work of Fontaine Fox and more Sam's Strip await!

Talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

I love Gray's use of black & white. He strikes a wonderful balance that really moves the eye of the reader.

Unca Jeffy said...

I can't say enough about how much I like Gray's stuff His design, his linework, his texturing, his pacing, characterization,...

Everything he does melds together so well and becomes a near perfect example of comic strip art.

Runs.with.Ferals said...

+, there is some serious Wisdom & Philosophy in his body of work. Makes a Guy wanna abandon all earthly possessions & travel around with a faithful Dog, dressed up like a~ LEAP'N LIZARDS~!

Unca Jeffy said...

I'm right behind ya, guy!

Search This Blog