Friday, June 17, 2011

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...!

No evil shall escape my sight,
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!

That's right, Kiddoes! It's super-hero movie time again!

Tomorrow the big screen adaptation of DC Comics' silver age version of "The Green Lantern" drops all over the place...and yes, I'll be there!


The silver age of comics began at DC. Julius Schwartz had begun reviving the then-dormant super hero genre in 1956 when he reimagined one of DC's heroes of the golden age "The Flash" in the pages of a comic called "Showcase". It was such a success, Schwartz decided to make lightning strike twice, by borrowing another retired hero "The Green Lantern" and bringing him into the Eisenhauer era.

This "Green Lantern" was scientific in nature as opposed to the original more mystic and magic origins, this "Green Lantern" was a cosmic policeman who patroled the galaxy righting wrongs and fighting evil. Ace test pilot Hal Jordan was a man without fear and was chosen as an agent of the "Gaudians of the Universe" on the planet Oa and charged with patroling "space sector 2814".
You'll learn all of this when you see the movie unless you had a proper education and you know it already. I'm looking forward to the movie. The trailers I've seen have won me over, despite my original aprehension at the thought of Ryan "Possibly the Worlds Loudest Douche-Bag" Reynolds, being cast in a role where douche-baggery isn't an option.

For now, here's the very first appearance of Green Lantern in the September-October issue #22 of "Showcase". Written by John Broome and drawn by the mighty Gil Kane!

Enjoy!


Kicks right off with the origin story!



















Comics of the 50's and 60's and somewhat into the 70's had neat little educational features like this. I miss them...




Not wasting any time, Hal crashes into another adventure!




























More stuff to make us smart between super-hero stories. Good stuff!




And then Hal kicks butt again!































I'm off to buy candy to smuggle into the movies.

Talk to you soon.

5 comments:

Unca Jeffy said...

and before my dear brethren in the "geek police" get on me too hard...yes, I know Hal was the GL of space sector 2814, NOT 2816...I will correct the cartoon as soon as I'm able.

sigh...my proof reading is horrible!

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Give us a review of the flick. I would venture off island to see it if it is worth it.

Unca Jeffy said...

The movie is pretty to look at, that's about it. Lot's of weak (or just not paying attention) story points and forced emotional arcs. I'm happy to see that Ryan Reynolds didn't douche it up as I thought, but the writers crapped all over it instead.

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Ah. Thanx. RottenTomatoes is right again !

Unca Jeffy said...

Amazingly accurate, those Tomatoes.

Search This Blog